Tuesday, August 24, 2010

School supply lists

Really? Shall I say it again.....really? I was at our local school supply haven the other day, aka, the grocery store, and picked up a list for fun. After all, it's only one short year and my little princess will be taking her first backpack-lunchbox picture on her first day. So I wanted to see what the fuss is all about. We all know the commercial, the kids want to freak Mom out with the list and how expensive, or extensive, it is. That is certainly is. I have a few bones to pick here. And correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no teacher nor have I ever been one (well in academia). Here goes:

10 Glue Sticks and 2- 4oz glue bottles - What the! TEN glue sticks, times about 16 kiddo's.....WHAT are they gluing? I realize that when Rylee glues she uses enough to glue a house to its foundation, but I believe 160+ glue sticks will suffice.

1-8ct crayon, 3-24 ct crayon, 3-8ct thick markers, 2-8ct thin markers....I mean what in the name of Pete are you coloring? I have a Pacman box of crayons at my Mom's house that I have kept around since I was little. Instead of constantly replacing, how about we teach them to hear that glorious little *click* when putting the lid back on and not eating crayons. Then maybe then we won't need to continue to send Crayola into yet another billion dollar company in the midst of this "financial crisis".

And only one can of playdoh? The stuff that dries out faster than my swimsuit does in 100 degree Texas weather? Who makes this list? What I want, along with this list next summer, is an itinerary of their year. So far it looks as if they'll be coloring, gluing and molding. Now I know there is much more to it, but from the mother of a preschooler, I think we've gained enough macaroni art to last a lifetime.

Although the list made me laugh, I do look forward to the back-to-school shopping and getting ready for it all. Until then, I'll enjoy the lax schedule, laminated artwork and my two little preschoolers.

No comments:

Post a Comment